Fitness trainer Mandy Gill makes the case for Summer Salad Rolls!
Call them spring rolls, summer rolls, salad rolls, fresh rolls—the common denominator is that we’re certain these are the only kind of rolls you’ll want this summer.
This easy-to-make recipe, bursting with flavour, can be served as a side dish at a sunny barbecue or enjoyed as a full meal on its own. The cost to make rolls at home is a fraction of what you’d pay in a restaurant or grocery store—plus you can add in whatever ingredients you’d like.
I choose to order nearly all the items below directly to my doorstep from Vitasave.ca, which has options for free shipping across Canada and a commitment to make healthy living easy and affordable for everyone. It’s also vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free.
Summer Salad Rolls
Serving: 8-10 rolls
Total Time: 30 min
- 1 package spring roll rice paper wrappers (found in the Asian section of your local grocery store; go for the option with little to no added sodium)
- 1 head romaine lettuce (finely chopped)
- 4-5 large rainbow carrots (peeled into thin ribbons)
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup fresh mint (this completes the flavour)
- » ½ cup Thai basil (sub cilantro if needed)
- Take a rice paper and dip it into warm water. Immediately pull it out of the water, letting it drip off for a second before placing it onto a clean surface with a bit of grip (a cutting board works well).
- Lay carrots side by side in the center of the rice paper. This is where the colour will come from.
- Layer lettuce, mint, Thai basil, hemp and chia seeds on top.
- Pull up the bottom of the rice paper wrapper like you would to wrap a burrito, tucking the sides, and meeting at the top edge.
- *Tip: use the first roll as an experiment (and the one you eat), seeing as it likely won’t be your prettiest!
- Cut in half with a sharp knife and serve with the Lemon Garlic Tahini sauce.
Lemon Garlic Tahini
Serving: 2/3 cup
- ½ cup tahini (from raw or roasted sesame seeds)
- ¼ cup warm water, plus more as needed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp Flavorgod, lemon & garlic
- Squeeze of lemon, salt & pepper to taste
- Add tahini, avocado oil, Flavorgod lemon & garlic, and a squeeze of lemon into a small mixing bowl. Combine together.
- Add water a little at a time, continuing to whisk, until you have a creamy sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- If you have any leftover sauce, it can be kept in the fridge for 1-2 weeks. It’s delicious on salads, falafel, veggie burgers, and much more!
Published by DLC Marketing Team